I Have a Voice...I Deserve to be Heard

Sunday, July 09, 2006

I Won

Finally...all of my hard work and dedication has paid off. I won my very first writing contest. I have been trying to get my voice heard for so long. I believe ever since I was a child and I received my very first rejection letter. Well, it wasn't really a letter of rejection, but instead a letter of encouragement. The letter simply stated that since I was still so young I would do better by just strengthing my writing skills. Well here I am today. I always knew God bestowed upon me the gift of writing.

Here is an excerpt of the piece that I entered into the contest...

Should've been in American cinema class, but I wasn't. Found myself at the Oasis, with a hotdog in hand and a raspberry smoothie on the way. I heard the laugh, but was too engulfed in my thoughts. Everything was on my mind. School. Work. All the men who had done me wrong. The laugh...again...this time it caught my attention. I knew the laugh. The way it began in the pit of the stomach, churning and rolling, until finally releasing into air causing heads to turn. My head was the only to remain in that direction.

Hope you like it. Be sure to keep an eye out for the How I Met My Sweetheart anthology coming in February 2007.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You better do your thing Mrs. Batts. Congrats and I want you to know that I AM PROUD OF YOU and I LOVE YOU!! We will always be friends and please keep doing you.

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shauna.
You have serious skills. Congrats.

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home